Information about us
independent-sl.co.uk is a site operated by Independent Student Living Ltd (hereafter referred to “We or Independent Student Living”). We are registered in England under company number 07322117 and have our registered office at Asher House, Blackburn Road, West Hampstead NW6 1AW. Our main trading address is Independent Student Living, Blackburn Road, West Hampstead, WC1N 2LY.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- contact information including email address and other information provided at the time of registering to use our website
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
- if you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence
- details of your visits to our website and the resources that you access
- details of transactions you carry out through our site and of the fulfilment of your bookings
- details of your visits to our site and the resources that you access.
For the exhaustive list of cookies we collect see the List of cookies we collect section.
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our products and services including to ensure that content from our website is presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer.
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided for such purposes.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail where you have consented to this. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
We use analytical/performance cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Other Cookies which may be used include:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not and how best our site is navigated. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website and you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. We do not accept any liability or responsibility for these policies.You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
- if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at [email protected]
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale to you.
If you are a new customer, and where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the Companies Act 2006.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Independent Student Living Ltd or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
Where we store your personal data
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Access to your information
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee of £10 will be payable to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to INDEPENDENT STUDENT LIVING LTD Asher House Blackburn Road West Hampstead London NW6 1AW.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.